Available in the following categories:
This is a very rare British Napoleonic sword. Sword was assembled by the famous London cutler Drury, who had a shop in the Strand, and was a cutler to the King. Sword belonged to an officer in the British Loyal Marine Volunteers company, as is stated on the gilt grip ribbon. Loyal Marine Volunteers were raised in Dublin in 1803, one of several volunteer units established in the Irish capital at the time of the continuation of the War with Napoleonic France. The five-ball hilt is in very good shape, the little fouled anchor on the counter-guard is long gone. Hilt is nice and tight. Blade is 78 cm long, engraved with George III monogram, the Royal coat of arms and military symbolism. Blade was bought by Drury from J.J. Runkel, who, in turn, procured it in Solingen, as is substantiated by his signature on the blade's back.
Units like the Loyal Marine Volunteers performed coastal defence duties, and in some cases went on board ships along with the regular naval personnel.
British National Maritime Museum holds the shoulder-belt plate for the sword of an officer in this scarcely-documented unit. The design of the belt plate decoration is virtually identical to the design on the grip ribbon. Belt plate is illustrated below and isn't part of this sale.
A rare British Napoleonic sword with both the Irish and the naval connections!